Warrnambool woman injured in crash with milk tanker

A 70-YEAR-OLD Warrnambool woman was taken to hospital with minor injuries after an accident involving a milk tanker at the intersection of Warrnambool’s Raglan Parade and Gateway Road this afternoon.
Nanjing Night Net

The woman was driving a red Toyota coupe west along Raglan Parade where she was involved in a collision with a Murray Goulburn milk tanker heading in the same direction just after 2pm.

The coupe suffered impact damage to the rear and was then shunted forward into a light/traffic pole and smashed a keep left sign.

Police are investigating the cause of the accident although lane swapping and an amber traffic light are believed to have been contributing factors to the collision.

The red coupe was described as close to an insurance write-off, while there was minor damage to the front of the truck.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more
Hamilton men charged with burglary

TWO Hamilton men have been arrested and charged with breaking into a King Street milkbar and a school in the early hours of Saturday.
Nanjing Night Net

The two men, one aged 18 years and the other 23, are accused of entering the milkbar early Saturday morning through a window believed to be broken the previous night.

Police allege the two men stole cash and cigarettes.

The same two offenders are accused of breaking into the Baimbridge College canteen in Mount Baimbridge Road after forcing entry to the building and stealing food items.

Police made short work of the investigation and arrested the men soon after 7am on Saturday.

The 23-year-old was charged and bailed with burglary and theft. The 18-year-old was charged with the same offences and remanded in custody after appearing before a bail justice.

He is expected to appear in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court later today either via a video link or with a magistrate late afternoon who is sitting in the Portland Magistrates Court today.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more
Portland man in court for alleged assault

A PORTLAND man accused of fracturing his housemate’s skull and jaw will appear in Portland Magistrates Court today.
Nanjing Night Net

The 28-year-old man has been charged with intentionally and recklessly causing serious injury, recklessly causing injury, possessing a controlled weapon and two counts of resisting police which all allegedly relate to an incident last Wednesday.

Police will allege that the man assaulted his housemate.

The alleged victim was taken to Portland hospital and then airlifted to Geelong where he has been treated in the Geelong hospital intensive care unit for fractured skull and jaw and a serious eye injury.

The 28-year-old was previously remanded in custody to appear in the Portland Magistrates Court today.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more
Nestles breaks hoodoo to advance to grand final

CAPTAIN Brett Eldridge felt he owed his side after missing last week through suspension and yesterday he delivered with a remarkable all-round performance that lifted Nestles to a six-wicket victory over reigning premier Allansford.
Nanjing Night Net

Eldridge took 6-35 from 24 overs on Saturday, including a hat-trick, as Nestles restricted the Gators to 210.

After being in early trouble yesterday, Eldridge guided Nestles to a drought-breaking semi-final win with an unbeaten 99. His side finished on 4-213 with six overs to spare.

The triumph for Nestles, its first from four semi-final encounters with Allansford in the past five years, sets up a grand final showdown with West Warrnambool this weekend.

Eldridge was unaware he finished the game on 99 after he cracked a pull shot through mid-wicket for four to seal victory. He said a grand final berth meant more than his personal double.

“I thought I owed it to the boys,” he said.

“I wanted to make sure my match fitness was up so I put more of an emphasis on training hard because I went four weeks without a hit.”

Eldridge, one of the association’s leading players, has developed a habit of performing against Allansford, the winner of the past three premierships.

In the last preliminary match last season, he took six wickets and made 103 to ensure his side played finals. The 29-year-old said his side’s performance had been top- shelf against one of the competition’s toughest opponents and an emphasis on partnerships had paid off.

“Allansford are such a good side, you know they are going to keep coming and they give you nothing,” he said.

“To get that score, we needed partnerships and Scotty Kelly and Cam Williams, we had to work together.

“That was the most pleasing thing. The previous years we haven’t had the patience and experience to last as long as we did today.”

Gators skipper Josh Parkinson, while disappointed with the result, couldn’t fault his side in the field.

“Externally people would have thought 210 was a good score, but internally we were pretty disappointed,” Parkinson said.

“I thought we were in a good position to make high 200s but all season we haven’t been able to do it.

“We knew we had to bowl well and I thought we did a good job. We were beaten by a better side. Brett was the difference in the game.”

Eldridge’s hat-trick on Saturday came at a crucial stage in the game. After Allansford had shored up its innings with a big fifth-wicket stand, Eldridge removed Matt Brophy, who was caught behind by Cam Williams. The next ball Eldridge bowled Tim McDonald, then trapped Brett Membrey in front for a duck. He came perilously close to a double hat-trick, having a raucous bat-pad appeal turned down.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more
Strong bonds underpins Panmure’s ninth flag since 1999-2000

Brothers in arms: Panmure players share in the joyful aftermath of another premiership triumph. PANMURE captain Chris Bant has attributed his club’s stranglehold on the Grassmere Cricket Association (GCA) A grade competition to strong friendships and faith in each other’s ability.
Nanjing Night Net

The Bulldogs yesterday clinched their ninth top-grade premiership since joining the association in 1999-2000, bringing up another flag after a comfortable victory against Killarney.

Bant was not surprised the Panmure dynasty has continued to roll on.

“I guess we just have trust in each other and trust in everyone’s ability,” he said.

“We don’t have any backstabbing like some of the other clubs.

“Everyone’s mates here and we don’t really go out and try and recruit players.

“There is a winning culture at the moment and we want to keep it going.”

Killarney captain Liam Cole won the toss at Purnim Recreation Reserve on Saturday and sent the minor premier in to bat, a move which Bant was expecting after the Crabs’ impressive semi-final chase the previous weekend.

It was an ideal start to the innings for Killarney, dismissing one of the association’s leading run scorers in Timmy Hunt (1) to have the Bulldogs 1-8.

Bant (73) stepped in and steadied the innings, which included a 68-run partnership for the third wicket with James McKinnon (10).

“When we were 3-100, we were looking like we might get to 250 but we just kept losing wickets and couldn’t really get any good partnerships going,” Bant said.

“They bowled pretty well as well. We still thought that to get 210, that was going to be pretty competitive.”

A solid 29 from number eight Dan Meade was crucial in lifting Panmure’s total to 210, while last week’s matchwinner, veteran Brian Salmon, chipped in with 23.

Killarney faced seven overs unscathed on Saturday afternoon, finishing 0-11 at stumps to need 200 runs for victory yesterday.

“We knew that we were going to have to bowl them out if we were going to win,” Bant said.

“We were just able to keep getting wickets (yesterday) and they couldn’t get many partnerships going.”

The Crabs sunk to 6-66 mid-afternoon, with Cole (28) the only top-order batsman who fired.

It was courtesy of Panmure opening bowlers Nathan Shand (4-38 off 27.1 overs, including 11 maidens) and Meade (3-28 off 22 overs, with eight maidens) ripping through the order.

After being 9-104, Killarney’s Daniel Jones (30no) provided some resistance before the Crabs were all out for 123.

“When Jonesy was in, he could’ve done anything so it was a bit of relief when we got them all out,” said Bant, who explained celebrations after the final wicket weren’t too animated due to the majority of the Panmure players being involved in previous flags, including last season.

Meade was named man of the match due to his all-round performance.

The modest 27-year-old, who missed last year’s premiership because he was working in London, described his game as “all right”.

“They didn’t really play any shots in the first half of the game so they dug themselves into a hole,” he said of Killarney.

“We fielded well and bowled pretty tight.”

Cole was the pick of Killarney’s bowlers, taking 3-57 off 19 overs.

[email protected]南京夜网.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more
Port Fairy founding father’s family returns to its roots

Sarah Drylie (rear) with her children Reuben Williams, 8, and Elanora Williams, 6, who hold a photograph of Leslie Earle, the great-grandfather of Claire Macrae-Drylie, their grandmother (right).ALMOST 158 years ago William Earle packed up his family and stonemason’s tools and sailed from Devon, England, to establish a life in the south-west Victorian hamlet of Belfast.
Nanjing Night Net

His second-born son, also William, went on to help establish the town now known as Port Fairy.

In recent decades the direct descendants of William Earle Junior traced their family tree to find far-flung relatives in Australia and overseas.

Partly responsible for the ancestral quest was great-grandson Bruce Macrae, who yesterday said the hard work came to fruition with an Earle, Macrae, McKellar and Orr family reunion on the weekend. “We’ve got cousins scattered across various states and countries,” he said.

“We had a reunion in the Gold Coast a couple of years ago. We wanted to come back to where (William’s) family had arrived, Port Fairy.”

Mr Macrae said his research started about 40 years ago when he became interested in the influence William Jnr had in Port Fairy.

“He was chairman of practically everything,” he laughed.

William Jnr was president of the town’s mechanics institute and hospital board auxiliary and secretary of the agricultural, pastoral and horticultural show committee.

He was also mayor for three terms, the Port Fairy correspondent for The Standard and the Hamilton Spectator and wrote the town’s first history.

Mr Macrae has traced his family to England, Papua New Guinea and all voer Australia and with the help of sisters Claire Macrae-Drylie and Anne Macrae lured 52 people to the get-together. It included a family gathering and meal, old photographs, a sing-a-long, a visit to the cemetery to see their ancestors’ graves and a walking tour of the town.

“We went through the home they lived in when they first arrived and a lot of other places in Port Fairy that were relevant to William’s life,” Mr Macrae said.

“We’ve established relationships now … I would say it was a wonderfully successful occasion.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more
Hit-and-miss start for south-west duck hunters

SOME south-west shooters missed their first taste of duck season on the weekend as below-average rainfall limited bag numbers in the region.
Nanjing Night Net

Warrnambool Field and Game president Geoff Morris said many members had travelled outside the south-west to wetter parts of the state.

“I heard some were shooting their bag at the Yambuk Lake and others at Mount Emu,” Mr Morris said. “Without being spectacular, they got a feed.

“Some others were up at Kerang and I shot at the Rocklands Reservoir with a few Warrnambool shooters.

“We did quite well but others didn’t.”

He said due to dry south-west conditions many birds had flown to flooded New South Wales areas.

“Around the south-west is going to be quiet,” Mr Morris said. “It was looking very good two months ago but we’ve just had no rain at all. With water level dropping the birds don’t tend to hang around.

“Most shooters from around the Warrnambool area will be doing a bit of travelling.”

On Saturday the Coalition Against Duck Shooting posted videos online which it said showed hunters harassing volunteers at Lake Buloke, near Donald.

The rescuers claimed they also filmed a duck shooter firing at their group, abusing a female rescuer and violating welfare regulations by failing to kill a shot and wounded bird.

But Mr Morris told The Standard tensions with animal rights groups were not an issue in the south-west.

“As members we have to do stringent tests to be allowed to go shooting ducks and birds.

“Everyone undertakes that.

“Some people get frustrated with protestors jumping in their faces and 99 per cent of shooters are very well behaved.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more
Camperdown erupts with festival fun

St Patrick’s Day is embraced as a float theme by young participants in the festival street parade.THOUSANDS of south-west residents flocked to Camperdown’s Lakes and Craters Festival over the weekend.
Nanjing Night Net

Crowds were drawn to the Corangamite Foodies’ Feast and St Patrick’s Primary School Mt Leura fun run on Friday night and the fun continued for the next two days.

Click on the photo to view the image gallery

Rotary Club of Camperdown president and event co-ordinator Pat Robertson was yesterday thrilled with the outcome, saying Rotary had taken over the duties from Advance Camperdown for the first time.

“There has been a steady stream of people right up until 3.30pm today,” she said yesterday.

The event, which has been held on and off for the past 40 years, featured a variety of family-friendly activities, including a street parade, market and local arts display.

The Crater Lake cake competition, a table-setting competition and historical wedding dress exhibition were weekend highlights, Mrs Robertson said.

Organisers and sponsors successfully promoted the festival as a community event, she said.

“There was participation from a lot of community groups.

“We would like to think that will encourage more groups to be involved in the future.”

Mrs Robertson said the Lakes and Craters committee, along with Rotary, were grateful to their sponsors and the community for supporting the event.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more
Lucky escape for couple – and kids – in Terang crash

The crushed Honda sedan in carried from the crash scene.THE south-west was fortunate to avoid another road fatality after an empty baby capsule and child’s seat were crumpled in the rear of a car hit by a B-double truck at Terang.
Nanjing Night Net

Leading Senior Constable Suzi Meade, of Cobden police, said it was extremely fortunate there were no rear-seat passengers in the 1998 blue Honda sedan on Saturday afternoon.

She said the 33-year-old woman driver and her husband were on a weekend trip from Melbourne and had not brought their children.

Their car was headed west on the western outskirts of Terang in an 80km/h zone when it slowed to turn right from the Princes Highway about 1.30pm.

Leading Senior Constable Meade said the prime mover towing B-double trailers collided with the rear of the sedan as the car was turning, despite the truck driver braking heavily before impact.

She said there was significant damage caused to the rear of the sedan. The crushed Honda had to be towed away and the woman driver was taken to Warrnambool Base Hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

She was released from hospital late Saturday night.

The driver of the truck, a 29-year-old Altona man, has been interviewed by police and is expected to charge on summons with traffic-related offences, including careless driving.

Leading Senior Constable Meade yesterday warned all road users to be vigilant.

“All drivers need to be aware of what is going on around them and respond accordingly,” she said.

“Motorists need to be vigilant because we are all sharing the road with others.

“Often it is the behaviour of other motorists that necessitate drivers to take actions. To do so safely everyone must be vigilant.

“All drivers are urged to fully concentrate on the task of driving to avoid incidents on the road and as best-as-possible ensure the safety of everyone,” she said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more
Funding boost inspires Youth Week activities

NATIONAL Youth Week celebrations have received a $6000 boost in south-west Victoria.
Nanjing Night Net

Member for South West Coast Denis Napthine announced Warrnambool, Moyne and Glenelg shires would receive $2000 for events in National Youth Week, as part of a joint partnership between the state government, federal government and youthbeyondblue.

The theme for Youth Week, from April 13 to 22, is Imagine. Create. Inspire. To celebrate the week, Moyne Shire will host a dinner for young people called Getting Down (and how to get back up) and Brophy Family and Youth Services will hold the Kulcha Shift Skate and Sound Festival, which features bands, food stalls, an action sport competition and demonstrations.

Glenelg Shire is set to host Glenelg Youth Art Week, a community art project with community groups and sporting clubs, including large-scale designs on the playing surfaces of local sporting clubs, according to Dr Napthine.

“National Youth Week provides a wonderful opportunity for young people across the country to celebrate and be acknowledged for their contributions to their community and these grants will help young south-west Victorians be part of it,” Dr Napthine said.

“I would encourage all local young people to support this event and get involved with Youth Week.”

Dr Napthine said beyondblue’s contribution of $40,000 would go towards events raising awareness about depression and anxiety in young people. “Around 160,000 young people aged 16 to 24 live with depression each year,” he said.

Community Services Minister Mary Wooldridge said important events such as National Youth Week helped provide creative ways to raise awareness on important health issues.

To learn more about National Youth Week go to www.youthcentral.vic.gov.au/nyw/. For information on depression or anxiety visit www.youthbeyondblue南京夜网 or call 1300 224 636.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read more