A WARRNAMBOOL man who allegedly grabbed his 87-year-old grandmother around the throat after she warned him he would head back to jail has had his case adjourned for a contested hearing.
Nanjing Night Net

Matthew Phillip Andrews, 31, previously of Ardlie Street, yesterday appeared in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court from prison via video link.

His case was adjourned until a contested hearing on May 11.

Police alleged that on December 28 Mr Andrews was living at his grandmother’s home of 44 years.

His grandmother warned her grandson he would go back to jail if he continued to associate with undesirable people.

Andrews became enraged despite his mother trying to calm him down, police alleged.

He is alleged to have grabbed his grandmother around the throat.

The elderly woman later told police she almost passed out.

Mr Andrews’ mother intervened.

The man’s grandmother’s neck was left raw and bleeding.

Andrews then got hold of a knife and waved it, allegedly causing a defensive wound to the back of his grandmother’s hand.

He also allegedly threatened to kill his mother and grandmother if they called police.

Police were called and used capsicum spray to arrest the defendant.

Police searched his bedroom and found seven bottles of animal medication.

Police prosecutor Senior Constable Kevin Mullins presented photos of the grandmother’s injuries to the court.

Magistrate Ron Saines told defence solicitor Matthew Senia his client would be best served by negotiating the charges.

He said police had to use force to arrest him and Andrews’ mother had to intervene.

Mr Senia said Andrews had been in custody since December 28.

His parole had been cancelled and he still owed the parole board about 12 months of a four-year sentence that was imposed in 2008.

He said the mother and grandmother were in court and they had made statements of no complaint in relation to the police charges, while Andrews maintained the police allegations were grossly inaccurate.

Solicitor Carolyn Howe said her clients, Andrews’ mother and grandmother, would give evidence that he did not make threats to kill, used his thumbnail, not the knife, to cause an injury and the neck wound bled so much because the elder woman was on blood thinning medication.

Andrews was charged with recklessly causing serious injury, resisting police, possessing the proceeds of crime and two counts of making threats to kill, assault with a weapon and unlawful assault.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.