A PORTLAND teenager who was back committing burglaries just days after being released from a juvenile justice centre has been assessed as having an intellectual disability.
Nanjing Night Net

Benjamin James Price, 18, of Otway Street, pleaded guilty in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court during January to two counts of theft and three charges each of burglary and causing criminal damage.

Magistrate Jonathan Klestadt then ordered the Department of Human Services to conduct a disability eligibility assessment before Price was sentenced, as previous assessments were not extensive.

Price was found to have a disability and a justice plan prepared to assist him living in the community.

Last week he was also assessed and found suitable for a community corrections order which Price will now have to complete, after he is released from a youth justice centre on April 13.

Mr Klestadt said Price knew what had to be done to stay of trouble.

“This is probably the last chance you have to avoid serving time in adult jail.

When you are released from the youth justice centre in about a month you will have to complete a community corrections order,” he said.

“If you muck that up — if you keep knocking off stuff — the court will not have much of an option.

“It won’t do you much good to be in jail but it will stop you stealing stuff,” he said.

On April 15 last year Price was sentenced to serve 14 months in youth detention after being involved in an offending spree in Portland. He was released on parole on October 10 after serving less than six months.

Between October 22-24 Price was involved in breaking into Portland’s Jean Jail and stealing shoes, hoodies and shorts valued about $800.

Price and his co-accused used a rock to break a window and then a stick to remove items from the store.

Overnight on November 6 Price and co-accused smashed a sliding glass door at a Portland college. They searched the school but stole nothing. The cost of repairs was $378. Overnight on November 22 Price was again part of a group which broke into the Portland Netball Association building through a faulty rear door lock. They set off two fire extinguishers and forced two internal doors, causing $339 damage.

On November 4 last year Price’s parole was cancelled, he was arrested by police on November 11 and his current sentence was to last until June 29 this year.

Price has also been ordered to pay almost $2000 compensation for damage caused and items stolen.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.