A WARRNAMBOOL driver charged with being the principal offender in a burnout spree at a funeral has been jailed for two months.
Nanjing Night Net

Jayden McKenna, 19, of Ocean Grove, pleaded guilty to almost 20 mainly driving offences in Warrnambool Magistrates Court including reckless conduct endangering serious injury, careless driving, unlicensed driving and driving while disqualified.

Almost half McKenna’s charges breached his 14-day suspended jail sentence.

Magistrate Michael Coghlan said there was no exceptional circumstances which would allow McKenna to avoid serving the suspended sentence.

He said McKenna had received the suspended sentence on May 24 last year but in August, November and December last year and in January this year had reoffended.

Mr Coghlan said he had even been caught offending on the same day he had been to court.

The magistrate said he had no option but to impose the 14 days’ imprisonment and the only question was how much time to add onto that sentence.

Mr Coghlan said McKenna had been repeatedly caught ignoring court orders and disqualifications.

As well as being jailed for a total of 63 days, McKenna was convicted and fined $1800 and had his driver’s licence disqualified for 10 months.

He also has outstanding fines of more than $2000.

Between 2.40pm and 3pm on November 9, 2010, McKenna was driving a white Holden Commodore sedan on streets surrounding the Warrnambool cemetery while a funeral was being held for accident victim Aaron Bryce.

McKenna did several burnouts, each for a significant time, with his partner and her 18-month-old child in the car.

McKenna then went to Lynden Grove where he got an unroadworthy and unregistered Holden Commodore which had a smashed windscreen and lowered driver’s seat that created extremely poor visibility.

There were a large number of people in the area and McKenna drove on the streets surrounding the cemetery at high speed, doing several more burnouts and fishtails.

The burnouts left skid marks between 40 and 50 metres in length.

He was arrested the next day and his cars impounded for 48 hours.

McKenna was one of about a dozen people charged in relation to doing burnouts at Mr Bryce’s funeral.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.