A TROUBLED youth given a double-or-nothing chance to avoid an immediate stint in youth detention has received a slightly reduced sentence.
Nanjing Night Net

On February 9, the 15-year-old Warrnambool boy was give the option of serving three months or, if he reoffended in the next three months, a six-month sentence.

Yesterday the youth, who cannot be named because he is aged under 18 years, appeared in court again for absconding or being absent from a Geelong accommodation unit 10 times.

A defence solicitor asked his client be given another warning and submitted the rules at the Geelong unit were far stricter than a Warrnambool facility.

The youth told a magistrate the Geelong rules were stricter he had to be in bed before 11pm, had to ask if he wanted anything to eat and almost had to ask to go to the toilet.

He said he couldn’t be expected to spend 24 hours a day seven days a week in the unit.

“It does my head in,” he said.

A police prosecutor said the rules at the Geelong unit were exactly the same as a Warrnambool facility.

A magistrate said he previously told the youth what would happen if the youth did not keep out of trouble.

He said his compliance was not sufficient although there were no further police charges.

The magistrate said he was not prepared to go back on his word and he ordered the youth to serve four months in youth detention.

The youth previously pleaded guilty to six charges.

In early February he broke into a social worker’s office and stole a digital camera and $300.

On November 11 last year, the youth punched another boy near Warrnambool’s Target store.

He then twice failed to answer his bail, but police caught up with him with a warrant in Melbourne and he went into secure custody for almost a fortnight.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.