Rain seemed an ominous possibility at Dennington.RAIN affected the majority of the Saturday pennant semi-finals on the weekend, with Western District Bowls Division (WDBD) fortunately having a spare day up its sleeve to reschedule the matches.
Nanjing Night Net

Division one games at Port Fairy on Saturday were abandoned, as was the division three second semi-final and both division four matches, which were all scheduled at City Memorial.

The washed out games have been postponed until next Saturday, with WDBD to finalise arrangements for the remainder of the finals series at a meeting tonight.

In the matches that went ahead, Koroit Blue advanced to the division two grand final after it edged out Warrnambool White 70-68, while Warrnambool Red ended City Memorial Blue’s season with an 82-65 triumph.

In division three, Koroit White comfortably defeated City Memorial White 98-45, with the former expected to have a week off while it waits to discover who its preliminary final opponent will be — the loser of next weekend’s second semi between Warrnambool Orange and Dennington Green.

In division one next Saturday, Warrnambool Blue and Dennington Red will meet in the first semi, while Warrnambool Gold and City Red will battle it out in the second semi.

In division four, Port Fairy Black and Warrnambool Yellow meet, while Warrnambool Maroon and Koroit Green play off for a grand final spot.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Port Fairy golfer Xavier McCartney on his way to his third club championship yesterday. IN-FORM Port Fairy golfer Xavier McCartney wrapped up a solid four rounds on his home course to collect his third club championship yesterday.
Nanjing Night Net

Sweltering heat, gusty winds and bucketing rain tested players throughout the three weekends of competition, but the resilient McCartney proved his ability in all conditions, holding on to his lead from the first day.

The 20-year-old opened his campaign with a par-72 before firing a 77 in the second round to own a four-shot buffer heading into the weekend.

Despite Saturday’s wet and blustery weather, McCartney powered along to produce a stunning 74.

The former Port Fairy Golf Club greenkeeper closed the deal with a 79 yesterday, finishing with a total of 302.

“I was pretty happy with the first three rounds,” he said.

“But I wasn’t too happy with my score (yesterday). I played a few bad shots and a few short putts.

“In the end I was just happy to take the win and be done with it.

“They were the toughest conditions I’ve played in. We had all four seasons.”

McCartney, who plays off a handicap of zero and is pursuing a professional career, previously won the club championship when he was 14 and 16.

Yesterday he continued an arm-wrestle with last year’s winner Chris Dunn.

“I started off really well,” he said.

“I was three-under off the fourth and was seven or eight shots in front.

“But then I had one really bad hole (sixth) and he (Dunn) started to catch up.”

However, with the support of caddy Aaron Finnigan, McCartney recovered to claim the title, four shots ahead of Dunn, who recorded a total of 306. Port Fairy’s Troy Richardson was third with 324.

Meanwhile, Kadir Zehir, who was tied for second with Dunn at the halfway point of the open competition, had to settle for the B grade trophy after shooting a disastrous 95 on Saturday and finishing with 329.

Melbourne’s David Newton posted 358 to win C grade, while Warrnambool’s Paul Hay was the best of D grade with 385.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Woodford’s under 17 team celebrates its grand final win over West Warrnambool.WOODFORD capped its minor premiership with the real deal in Warrnambool and District Cricket Association’s under 17 grand final yesterday.
Nanjing Night Net

The 50-over match between the Eels and West Warrnambool was shifted from the waterlogged Reid Oval to Merrivale and played in relatively dry conditions. Woodford was sent in to bat yesterday morning, gradually climbing to 5-130 in an innings that featured a half-century by Jayvan Houston and timely hat-trick by Panther Tom Smith.

While the total was about 20 runs shy of what the Eels intended, a solid bowling performance soon ousted West for 88 after 37 overs.

Victorious assistant coach Warren Burgess said the young Woodford brigade was determined to get the job done, having dropped just one match for the year, which was against West in round four.

“Teenage boys don’t show much emotion,” he laughed.

“They knew what their jobs were and were just keen to get out there and play.

“We were happy to bat first and get the runs on the board.”

Opening duo Houston (61) and Jake Burgess (22) worked steadily to 1-36 before captain Luke Wines (33) and Houston drove their side beyond 100.

However, West medium-quick Smith (3-26) grew impatient, taking matters into his own hands.

He dismissed Wines, Adam Sell and Clifford in succession and had Woodford shell-shocked at 4-103.

The Eels recovered to bat out its innings, resting at 5-130.

“We thought (the total) was about 10 to 20 runs short,” Burgess, who was covering for regular coach John Palmer, said.

“But once we started taking wickets we thought we were in with a chance.

“All of the boys gelled really well.”

West opener Will Templeton managed 15, while Jye Turland offered 14 and Will Mills top-scored for his side with 16 runs from sixth down the order.

The Panthers struggled to get a partnership together and were wavering at 9-77.

Tailender Lachlan Miller (13) did his best to make something out of nothing with Damon Harrison (1 not-out) but a direct hit by Eels medium pacer Conner Richardson (2-20) sealed the result.

Woodford leg spinner Houston finished with three wickets for 19, alongside Jake Burgess (2-11) and Jack Clifford (2-7).

As the Eels leapt into celebration mode, the Panthers lamented another missed opportunity.

Coach Cory McDonald said West’s core group of players had lost a string of grand finals, stemming from under 15s two years ago.

All-rounder Houston was named player of the match.

“It was a close game,” the 16-year-old said.

“We had to work hard at the start and we didn’t lose too many wickets.

“Tom’s hat-trick threw us back a bit but then we bowled nice, tight lines and put the pressure back on them.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Bill Malady cuts the ribbon to start the Corangamite Relay for Life held at Terang. READING the oath at the Corangamite Relay for Life was a mixture of pride and sadness for Cobden’s Bill Malady.
Nanjing Night Net

Mr Malady said he was honoured to be asked to lead the walk on Saturday night but his thoughts were also with his son Sean whose partner, Cindy Stephens, died three weeks ago from melanoma. Ms Stephens was 32.

“She found out at Christmas and we lost her three weeks ago,” Mr Malady said. “It went through her like fire. It was a great honour (to read the oath) but it was very emotional.”

Click on the photo to view the image gallery

Mr Malady was diagnosed with bowel cancer five years ago and the cancer later spread to his liver.

“I’ve copped treatment every Friday for the past 75 days,” he said. “At the moment everything is stabilised. So fingers crossed it stays that way.

“I’d like to pass on my thanks to my wife Clare and our family. She has looked after me for the past five years.

“I just hope I’m around for the next 25 years.”

Corangamite Relay for Life Committee chairman Mark Sullivan said Mr Malady was asked to read the oath because of his fight against cancer and also his fund-raising efforts for Peter’s Project and the new Ballarat Cancer Centre.

Mr Sullivan said the inclement weather had not put people off with 2060 participants at the Terang Recreation Reserve oval. He said $118,000 had been raised and there was still four weeks to go before all the money is collected. Last year $107,000 was raised at the end of the relay.

The candlelight ceremony proved to be a highlight with Cobden’s Grace Howard lighting the candle representing the present. Grace, 11, is undergoing treatment and wrote a poem to be read out as she walked with her family, Mr Sullivan said.

[email protected]南京夜网.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Manager of residential services Anthony Love (left) with resident Sam Ward at Southern Way’s new residential house in Kerr Street, Warrnambool. WARRNAMBOOL and district care service Southern Way’s latest residential accommodation service has been officially opened.
Nanjing Night Net

Funded by state and federal government grants given to the Barwon-South Western Department of Human Services, the facility on Kerr Street was launched by staff and member for South West Coast Denis Napthine.

Five residents have been living in the property since September 21 last year, one week after the keys to the building were handed to Southern Way.

Kerr Street residential manager Anthony Love said the facility was needed to cater for the “increased demand” of clients with disabilities in the district who had ageing parents or carers.

There are three other residential homes in Warrnambool and one respite home, but Mr Love said the Kerr Street home’s layout, specially designed for people with special needs, made it slightly more advanced.

“This is purpose-built for their needs,” he said.

“The doorways are wider for wheelchair access.”

The home also features five resident bedrooms and a staff sleeping area, a bathroom with a specialty bathtub and handrails, raised vegetable gardens and scooter storage.

Mr Love said the accommodation program involved helping residents to be independent in their cooking, cleaning, personal hygiene and other aspects of daily life. The house has 15 staff who are rotated to provide 24-hour care, seven days a week, Mr Love said.

Chief executive officer Graham Kemp said Southern Way had been serving the district for the past 20 years and had 150 clients, with the number growing steadily.

“Our core business is this, residential accommodation,” he said. “But we also offer attendant (in home) care, a future for young adults program and our Young At Heart program.”

[email protected]南京夜网.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

A JILTED lover involved in a love triangle has vowed to move interstate after being spurned by his ex, a Warrnambool court heard.
Nanjing Night Net

Tim Hutchins, 54, of Gladstone Street, Warrnambool pleaded guilty in Warrnambool Magistrates Court last week to making a threat to kill, harassing a witness and two counts of both stalking and breaching intervention orders. He was jailed for one month but the term has been suspended for 12 months.

Magistrate Ian von Einem had remanded Hutchins in custody overnight Thursday after he felt that Hutchins was not getting the message about the seriousness of his offending.

Police alleged that Hutchins was in a relationship with a married woman which ended when he began stalking her and her husband found out about the affair. The woman took out an intervention order which Hutchins breached during the first two weeks of February this year by tailgating the woman’s car, abusing her husband, threatening her husband and threatening to kill the woman.

The woman’s daughters and husband were now under professional medical care due to the stress caused by Hutchins’ behaviour.

Defence counsel Andrew Tweedly last week said his client had been in a relationship with the woman even though there had been a denial of the relationship.

He said Hutchins now wanted to move to South Australia. Mr von Einem told Hutchins that if he continued his behaviour then he would spend time in jail.

He said it didn’t matter who was right or wrong, if Hutchins continued his behaviour then he would be imprisoned. Hutchins told the court he would not reoffend.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

A WARRNAMBOOL Cheese and Butter B-double milk tanker rolled when forced off Centre Road at Simpson on Saturday morning.
Nanjing Night Net

Cobden policewoman Senior Constable Rebecca Miles said that about 8am the milk tanker driver was confronted by a blue/green station wagon while rounding a bend which forced the tanker off the road.

She said the rear trailer became stuck in mud and flipped which caused the other trailer and prime mover to roll.

The driver, aged about 50, was very lucky. He was taken to hospital for observation and treated for minor injuries.

“The Warrnambool Cheese and Butter transport manager quickly got onto heavy haulage and a crane. He was fantastic and they also dealt with the driver’s welfare on the spot. The accident scene was cleared by 2.30pm. Traffic along the road was an issue until then.”

Senior Constable Miles said the driver was upset because he had not received a ticket during his 32-year driving career.

“He didn’t get the registration number of the other car but said it was driven by a young bloke who just kept going. That was a bit disappointing,” she said.

“It’s a timely reminder for all drivers to stick to the left of the road while going around corners in case there is oncoming traffic. We all need to drive to the road conditions.”

The police officer said the tankers were bent out of shape but she expected they could be repaired after being towed away.

“There was extensive damage to the prime mover.

“It’s an almost brand new Kenworth.

“There was something like about 40,000 litres of milk pumped out and transported away,” she said.

[email protected]南京夜网.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Paul Abadjian (left) from Dorset, Susie and Tony Carter, from Hampshire, and tour organiser from London Ricardo Galvani, with Mr Carter s 1959 XK150 Jaguar. 120302LP20 Picture: LEANNE PICKETT CAPTION Classic Jaguar Touring Australia 2012. 1959 Jaguar XK150. L-R:Tour Assistant Carter , from Hampshire, owner of the carGRACE, space and pace was the Jaguar car’s catch-cry during its halcyon days and the slick automobiles still live up to their well-worn motto more than five decades on.
Nanjing Night Net

Twenty classic British cars pulled in to Warrnambool over the weekend after touring the Great Ocean Road as part of a charity drive throughout south-eastern Australia.

The largest contingent of XK and E-type Jaguars from the UK ever to tour Australia left Sydney on February 12 for a 27-day journey from Adelaide to Sydney, but a photo opportunity at the Twelve Apostles was on the top of the agenda for most participants.

Organiser Ricardo Galvani told The Standard his love affair with Jaguars first developed in the 1960s when the cars were at the peak of their popularity.

The British retiree said the tour also had an altruistic motive with funds raised by the tour directed at children’s development organisation Plan International.

“I remember the first time I saw a Mark VII Jaguar — the distinctive design, the leather interior and wood panelling — it was just superb,” Mr Galvani said.

“The 1960s were a time of renewed prosperity in the UK and the sports cars from that era had quite a distinctive design.

“The fact that they’re still loved after all this time shows they have a timeless quality.”

Contributions can be made to Plan International either through the charity’s website on www.plan.org.au or by calling 13 75 26.

[email protected]南京夜网.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

WORK on Woorndoo’s Salt Creek wind farm will begin today after Moyne Shire Council’s unanimous decision to endorse NewEn Australia’s plans last week.
Nanjing Night Net

NewEn director Ernst Wey-hausen welcomed the council decision to support the 15-turbine wind farm.

“At NewEn we believe passionately in working with the community and we endeavour to create positive outcomes whenever possible,” he said.

“While there is a great deal of local support for the wind farm, there is one family living nearby with concerns. We are willing to remove some of our turbines near their houses to create a better outcome for all involved, provided that council will accept such an amendment to the planning permit.”

Mr Weyhausen said NewEn has committed to working with the council and the nearby family so the final number of turbines could be reduce to as few as 10. “With new technology available we can source more efficient turbines, which would enable the wind farm to produce its projected output of 29.9MW from as few as 10 turbines instead of 15. It’s a win-win for all parties concerned,” he said.

Mr Weyhausen said works on the project would begin this morning in order to satisfy the requirements of the planning permit.

“We have invested considerable time and finances in this project and are very excited that works will finally begin,” he said. “There were 47 conditions and more than 150 sub-conditions in the planning permit which we’ve been working with the Moyne Shire Council and associated referral agencies to satisfy. We are very much looking forward to commencing early works on Monday.”

The director said the Salt Creek wind farm was unique, as it had an onsite quarry.

“It is because of this we anticipate the project will have a reduced impact on the local road network, as much of the material is likely to be sourced from the quarry,” he said.

[email protected]南京夜网.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

THE wheels are in motion to recruit more driving mentors following a three-year funding extension for the Warrnambool district’s L2P learner-driver program.
Nanjing Night Net

The state government has awarded funding to continue and expand the program throughout Victoria until 2015, securing places for 40 learner-drivers in Warrnambool and the Moyne Shire.

New L2P co-ordinator Hannah Cranage said the funding was great news, but additional mentor drivers were needed to accommodate the growing demand.

“This is a very exciting time to join the L2P program with an influx of young learner-drivers eager to get behind the wheel,” she said. “Recruiting volunteer mentors is now our focus, both in Warrnambool and throughout the Moyne Shire, particularly in Mortlake where we have a large number of learner-drivers wanting to join the program.”

Ms Cranage said anyone with a full licence interested in becoming a mentor driver could contact her on 5559 4413 or 0408 564 352 or to register for induction sessions on March 31 and April 1.

[email protected]南京夜网.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.